Level 2 Certification and RENEWAL Level 2 Certification
Download Level 2 Information
The Early Childhood Music and Movement Association (ECMMA) views teacher certification as a process of continued growth in knowledge concerning music and movement education for young children. It provides a fair, systematic method of teacher recognition; encourages continued participation in conventions, workshops, seminars and other training events; and encourages the growth of professional skills and abilities. Certification also assists teachers in self-evaluation, provides a means for feedback from parents of their classes, and helps assure the general public of teachers’ credentials. Level 2 is for those applicants who have completed Level 1 of this certification program.
REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW LEVEL 2 CERTIFICATION:
The fee for NEW Level 2 Certification is $40.00 US currency. NOTE: You must have attained Level 1 ECMMA certification and provide documentation of this certification (send a scanned copy of your Level 1 certificate).
- Current membership in ECMMA and prior completion of Level 1 Standard or Level 1 Collegiate Path.
4 additional Continuing Education Units (CEUs) related to Early Childhood Music and Movement for children
ages 0-7, with the following provisions:
- 1 CEU must include either a national convention of a music-related organization directly related to the study of early childhood music and movement or an advanced level training workshop that furthers early childhood music and movement training (an in-depth training in a specific area, i.e. methodology, pedagogy).
- 3 additional CEUs are required in training related to early childhood music and movement.
- Minimum 4 years teaching experience (within the last ten years) in early childhood music/movement, ages 0-7 (in the form of a letter from administrator, parent of student, studio affiliate, etc.). The letter must be signed in writing by this person.
One CEU equals 10 contact or class hours. Examples include:
- Ten hours guided observation of three classes of young children (0-7 years) equals one CEU. Teachers of
these classes shall have a minimum of five years teaching experience. Applicant must submit a 500 word written evaluation of the classes observed. The paper should include the teaching setting, name of teacher, dates and a brief summary of each session.
- Applicant should express how ideas, concepts, or research from the session might be incorporated into his/her teaching or practice, along with any meaningful critiques of the session.
- The teacher/professor that you have observed must sign and date the written paper before submission.
- Attendance at additional workshops, trainings, conferences or seminars related to early childhood music and movement. One CEU equals 10 hours of attendance at an event. For instance, a workshop of 13 hours is equal to 1.3 CEUs and the extra hours can be used for future certifications or renewals.
- Semester credits granted by colleges or universities in Early Childhood Music and Movement Courses carry one-for-one value: 1 credit = 1 CEU. Please submit transcript and information on course title and description.
DURATION & RENEWAL of Level 2 Certification:
The Level 2 certificate is valid for five years. Progression to the next level OR renewal of the current level is necessary at that time. If a member chooses not to renew, and after six months wishes to be re-certified, he/she must satisfy all requirements for Level 2 again.
RENEWALS for LEVEL 2 Certification: A reminder notice will be sent 6-12 months in advance of the renewal date. Keep track of needed documentation, i.e. workshop certificates, course transcripts, conference sessions attended, etc. If an extension is needed, contact the chairperson of the level for which you are applying. There is a possibility that you will need to complete additional hours for renewal at the discretion of the committee.
RENEWAL REQUIREMENTS for Level 2:
The fee for RENEWAL is $40.00 US currency.
- Membership in ECMMA for at least three of the past five years. (membership must be current)
- Documentation of actively teaching early childhood music/movement classes for children ages 0-7 at least two consecutive years of the past five years (in the form of a letter from administrator, parent of student, studio affiliate, etc.). The letter must be signed in writing by this person.
Three Continuing Education Units (CEUs), including at least one regional conference, national
convention or equivalent event related to early childhood music and movement.
- Renewal applicants may view the 2010 virtual convention or any subsequent ECMMA Virtual Conventions to meet the ten-hour requirement. When viewing a Virtual Convention, at least 1 keynote/general Session and a variety of breakout sessions should be selected for viewing. The applicant should then write a 300 word paper on the keynote/general session viewed, and a 150 word paper on each breakout session viewed. The papers should include the session title, speaker, date and a brief summary of each session. The applicant should express how ideas, concepts, or research from the session might be incorporated into his/her teaching or practice, along with any meaningful critiques of the session.
For information about renewing after the deadline has passed, contact the Managing Director: